Wednesday 3 March 2010

Lessons Learned: Self-referencing local file includes...

So I had a small incident at work today. I found a perl cgi script that had a local file include/os command injection vulnerability on it. After confirming this vulnerability, i decided to try and pull the source code for the vulnerable script, and the system choked. When I went to try something else, I was greeted by an ugly apache 500 server error. At first I just frowned and went back to a command string I had already validated worked. 500 error again. apparently somewhere in the mix, I am unsure if it is apache itself, mod_perl, or a condition created on the OS level, did not like the script trying to read itself and return it back out through apache. I suppose you could class this as an inadvertent denial of service attack

No comments:

Post a Comment